Assign a 'primary' menu

Gary Hamilton thrilled as Glenavon savour long overdue home comforts

October 17, 2021


A relieved Gary Hamilton praised Glenavon after they secured a first home League victory of the season.

atthew Fitzpatrick scored twice in this comfortable 4-2 win against Dungannon Swifts which finally gave the Mourneview crowd something to cheer.

Mark Stafford and Peter Campbell were also on target, bringing an emphatic end to a six-game winless run.

Hamilton said: “We are delighted because we have been performing well over the last few weeks and not getting what we deserve.

“Today we scored four goals, had a lot of very good individual performances and a very good team performance too.

“To be fair, we have been getting performances in the last four or five games, but the results have just gone against us.

“Thankfully today it turned and we got what we deserved and we won the game.”

Glenavon were on top throughout, disrupting Dungannon’s attempts to pass and play and causing problems with every ball into the box.

It took just 12 minutes to find a way through a defence that has now conceded 24 times in seven games — the worst in the division.

The Swifts’ attempts to play out from the back broke down, leading to a cheap corner.

Michael O’Connor swung the ball in and Stafford came rushing in, rising above his marker to head home.

On a day when not much went right for Dungannon, a touch of fortune saw them briefly level.

Oisin Smyth played in Ryan Mayse, who nudged the ball past Calum Birney and hit a shot that was deflected, leaving goalkeeper James Taylor helpless.

But the hosts reasserted their dominance within two minutes.

The Swifts defence had several chances to clear before Josh Doyle teed up Fitzpatrick for a well-placed right-foot finish.

Glenavon went close to a third as Campbell played in Doyle, with goalkeeper Alex Moore reacting smartly to parry his effort wide.

And they added two more early in the second half to hammer home their dominance.

First a throw from Sean Ward was flicked on and fell to Fitzpatrick, who hooked the ball in from close range.

Then, on the hour, another slick piece of play carved open Dungannon once more.

Danny Wallace drifted in from the left and his cross was touched back by Doyle to Campbell, who scored with a composed finish.

The visitors did pull one back late on, catching the Glenavon defence napping with Darragh McBrien dashing through to slot home, but it was of little consolation to Swifts boss Dean Shiels, who said: “I’m disappointed with the performance — I think it is the worst performance we’ve had all season.

“We showed no bottle, no courage to get on the ball and help team-mates on the ball. In the first half, we didn’t pass the ball.”

GLENAVON: Taylor 6, Ward 6, Birney 6, Stafford 7 (Harmon, 81 mins, 6), Wallace 7, Beggs 7, Snoddy 7 (Doran, 81 mins, 6), O’Connor 7 (Hall, 72 mins, 6), Campbell 7 (Garrett, 63 mins, 6), Fitzpatrick 8, Doyle 8 (Waterworth, 81 mins, 6). Unused subs: Brown, Hunter.

DUNGANNON: Moore 5, McGee 5, Canning 5, Cowan 6, C McGinty 5 (Glynn, 65 mins, 6), Oisin Smyth 6, Convie 5 (Conway, 54 mins, 6), Mayse 6, McBrien 6, Campbell 5 (McAleer, 65 mins, 6), McCready 5 (Gallagher, 77 mins, 6). Unused subs: Quinn, Coyle, Odhran Smyth.

Referee: Tim Marshall (Irvinestown) 6

Source link

Why Affiliate Marketing is the perfect home business to do, minimal costs, easy to start.

About the Author