Assign a 'primary' menu

Boy, 4, engulfed in ‘fireball’ after Home Bargains 89p bath foam ‘caught alight’

September 17, 2021


Jonathan Beddard says son Oscar Beddard was playing with the ‘children’s mouldable bath foam’ when it came into contact with a candle – and turned into a ‘fireball’, leaving him badly burned

Oscar Beddard, four, from Newton-le-Willows
Oscar had to spend a week in hospital

A dad claims his little boy was left screaming in pain after his Home Bargains 89p bath foam allegedly turned into a “fireball” – and burnt him.

Jonathan Beddard, 31, says son Oscar Beddard was playing with the ‘children’s mouldable bath foam’ when it came into contact with a candle.

The dad claims the product then caught fire – and engulfed the four-year-old, leaving him badly burnt.

Oscar was rushed to hospital after the alleged incident, where he stayed for a week while receiving treatment.

And although his skin is healing better than doctors had expected, Jonathan says the ordeal has affected the boy mentally.

Do you have a story? Email

Oscar’s parents claim there was not a sufficient warning the product could ignite


Jonathan Beddard)

He claimed to the Liverpool Echo : “The foam has caught the candle and then basically engulfed Oscar in a ball of flames from body to head.

“I had just nipped out to the shop and was literally down the road when I got a call saying ‘Oscar’s bath has set on fire it’s that foam’.

“We just had to keep dabbing him with cold water and towels while he was just sat there screaming in pain.”

According to Jonathan, Oscar wasn’t left unattended in the bath as his mum, Nicola, 43, was with him when the accident happened.

The youngster, from Newton-le-Willows, Merseryside, was quickly rushed to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, where he stayed for a week.

Jonathan said: “It has affected him mentally, he’s not had a bath since, and he’s got more of a temper since it happened and stuff like that.”

Oscar’s burns have healed better than doctors initially expected, meaning he didn’t need a skin graft as the family first feared.

Jonathan claims he purchased the product from the Earlestown branch of Home Bargains.

The Echo contacted Home Bargains but the company said it was unable to comment due to ongoing legal reasons.

Sign up for our daily newsletter to keep up to date with all the essential information at .

Jonathan who works as a construction worker, and Nicola are now in touch with law firm Fieldfisher regarding the incident.

The dad is now completing the Manchester 10K run to raise money for Ronald McDonald house, which houses families of Alder Hey patients while they are staying at the hospital, and where Jonathan and Nicola had a short stay when Oscar was in hospital.

You can donate to Jonathan’s charity run here.

Read More

Read More

Source link

Why choose subscription products to promote

About the Author